Recent Athletics News
The weight room will open starting June 1st. It will be open from 8:30-10:30 AM Monday-Friday and 4:00-6:00 PM Monday-Thursday during the first two weeks of June. Please refer to the schedule on the website for future dates and times which are dependent on usage and capacity. To access the schedule, go to School Information then to Calendars and click on Weight Room Calendar. Students will be expected to follow all protocols in the return to play guidance and guidelines. In addition the weight room will have a maximum occupancy of 8 students working out at a time. The weight room will be available on a first come first serve basis until capacity is reached. Students will be limited to a 45 minute workout session during the two hour time period that the weight room is open. This will allow for proper cleaning and disinfecting between workout groups.
Return to Play Guidance and Guidelines
The Governor’s office and the OHSAA have put forth guidelines that will allow the Hardin-Houston Local School District to begin skills training/practices with its athletes on May 26, 2020. OHSAA has developed three phases for the “Return to Play.” Each phase will be two weeks. During each phase there are specific restrictions and procedures that will need to be observed to ensure the safety of the coaches, athletes and community members.
Phase 1 – May 26 thru Jun 8
Phase 2 – Jun 9 thru Jun 22
Phase 3 – Jun 23 thru Jul 03
Prior to participating in any event, parents and athletes must conduct a daily symptoms assessment. If any of the following indicators are experienced, then they should stay home:
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Come in contact with COVID-19
In addition to those symptoms, if the athlete fits in the “vulnerable individuals” category they should not participate in any skills/training, practices or events until Phase three. “Vulnerable individuals,” according to the CDC, are those persons that have an underlying health condition. These conditions are, but are not limited to: high blood pressure, chronic lung disease, diabetes, obesity, asthma and those whose immune systems that are compromised by chemotherapy for cancer, and other conditions requiring such therapy.
When participating in school athletic activities, please adhere to the following steps:
- Parent/Guardian signature for Athletic Participation Summer Form (Please see link below)
- Athletes should arrive at their specified start time and not any earlier; they should leave immediately after its conclusion
- Wash hands for 20 seconds with warm water and soap before touching any surface
- Use school provided hand sanitizer before, during and after the activity
- Maintain social distancing, as directed in each phase
- Do not share any personal equipment
- Bring your own private water bottle and do not use any public water fountains
- Take a shower and wash workout clothing immediately upon returning home
The district will be taking the following measures for the responsible start of athletics
- Coaches will be conducting screen checks for signs/symptoms of COVID-19 prior to a workout
- Responses to the screening will be recorded and kept on file
- Any person showing symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to participate in the event
- Coaches will enforce social distancing as defined by each phase
- The number of participants and spectators will be limited to the number specified in each phase
- Areas will be sanitized after an event
- All equipment will be sanitized as defined in each phase
- Provide hand sanitizer for use prior, during and after a workout
For specific information on each phase, please follow the link: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/SchoolResources/OHSAAGuidance2020.pdf?sv=2017-04-17&sr=b&si=DNNFileManagerPolicy&sig=gdjEL5qf3lIkC%2BCHeGJBvtkcBzZez%2FwVWX0fSeFDnBA%3D
Click here for the Athletic Participation Summer Form.
Summer and Fall Sports Information 2020
Any students currently in grades 6-11 that are interested in running cross country during the 2020-21 school year, please sign up for updates through the Remind App. For instructions on signing up, click here.
Junior High Softball
Any girl entering 7th or 8th grade that is interested in playing softball this summer, please email Coach Vondenhuevel at firstname.lastname@example.org asap.
Junior High Volleyball
Attention girls in 6th and 7th grade. If you are interested in playing volleyball in the fall, please email Coach Mowery at email@example.com for more information. For the July and August schedule, please click here.
The OHSAA wants to see how you continue to train and work-out at home. Show us how you have been training by tweeting pictures & videos. Be sure to use the hashtag #howicompete, while also tagging @OHSAASports. For more information, visit the OHSAA website or follow the OHSAA twitter account.
Junior High Volleyball
Attention girls in 6th and 7th grade. If you are interested in playing volleyball in the fall, please email Coach Mowery at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Winter Sports Awards Program
Houston High School held the Winter Sports Awards Program on Tuesday, March 10th. Boys basketball award winners were Adam Winner with the Best Defensive Player Award, Preston Mering with the Wildcat Award, and Brennan Arnold with the Best Offensive Player Award and the Rebounding Award. Girls basketball award winners were Megan Maier with the Best Defensive Player Award, Mariah Booher with the Wildcat Award, and Amber Stangel with the Best Offensive Player Award and the Rebounding Award. Cheerleading Award winners were Mariah Booher with the Spirit Award and Eve Siegel with the Wildcat Award. Winter athletes that received All League Honors were Adam Winner, Amber Stangel, and Megan Maier with Honorable Mention SCAL. Congratulations to all winter athletes!